The Innovation Manager leads a project team and is accountable for the results of a Business Design project. He / she is a MacGyver type of person with an overview of all activities involved in the Business Design project driving the project team to high performance. As part of the project team, he / she prepares and participates in workshops and works on content-related tasks in between. The Innovation Manager is also the link to other divisions in your organization. It is essential that the Innovation Manager is trained in Business Design before he / she kicks off a project.
Key activities are:
- Defining the setup of a project (Project Charter)
- Establishing a high-performance work culture
- Preparing and moderating workshops
- Getting the project team up to speed
- Assigning and tracking tasks (rigidly)
- Working on own content-related tasks (e.g. field research, prototyping)
- Managing other stakeholders (e.g. sponsor)
We never came across a comprehensive development or training program for Innovation Managers. It is pretty much learning by doing. Run your projects guided by this Knowledge Base and learn right from experience. Additionally, the Orange Hills GmbH provides a short 3h ramp-up training specifically for Innovation Managers, which may help you avoid critical mistakes on the way.
Pay the utmost attention to the questions / hypotheses and the experiments.