Now it is time to create ideas! The Business Design approach directly translates insights from the Discover Phase into new or improved business models, products, services or software applications as future scenario. You also focus on defining how this future scenario can be challenged systematically under real conditions. This allows you to plan how to get feedback quickly to improve the future scenario in an iterative approach. The Design Phase usually consists of a Design Workshop followed by a virtual teamwork phase. After the Design phase, you will have created an entire business model, product, service or software concept around your favorite business idea and defined, which experiments you will undertake to challenge and further improve your future scenario in the following Validate Phase. In the teamwork phase project teams usually spend time to visualize the output of the Business Design Workshop properly and schedule a short "Sneak Preview" with the sponsor of the project.
- Innovation manager
- Innovation experts
- Business Design coach
- Optional: Customers and (team) external experts
The following activities represent the core of the Design phase:
- Synthesize learnings: In order to make the insights gained available to your whole team, all team members need to share their insights and learning from the Discover Phase with the project team and derive "Golden Nuggets" for the upcoming ideation exercises. Jointly brainstorm a range of rough business ideas and select the most promising ones.
- Develop future scenarios: Business ideas alone cannot create any value without being translated into coherent business models, products, services or software applications as future scenarios. Use e.g. the Business Model template to develop your preferred business ideas into business models. Choose one business model you want to further pursue.
- Plan validation of business model: A business model needs to be continuously challenged and improved before it can successfully hit the market. Therefore, use the Hypotheses & Experiments template to define how you will test your assumptions and get customer feedback by running experiments. You also think about your initial (”lean“) market offerings with the Lean Offerings template.
Tools & Materials
Q & A
- See Design Workshop
- Do we need software / hardware / service designers in that phase? We highly recommend to include real design professionals in that phase who know how to bring your ideas to another visual level through prototyping. It will be so much easier to discuss your ideas with externals and your sponsor. Does it cost a fortune? Usually not. You can make a huge difference with less than 3.000 €.